Sunday, May 8, 2011

Hummingbirds


Every spring I watch for the return of the hummingbirds. For some reason thier return signals hope for warmth and sunshine. I have always put out feeders and enjoy watching them. They all have different personalities. Some are friendly birds, while others are mean and selfish. I remember one year I wanted to some how get rid of one bird who would chase all the others away from the feeder. He would not eat, just sit on it and fly at any other hummingbirds that came along. Finally I purchased another feeder and hung it at the oppisite end of the porch. He could not hog both of them at once.
Did you know that hummingbirds mate for life? Several years ago one of the hummingbirds got trapped in our car and died. For years that bird's mate came back, alone, to the feeder. Now he too is gone.
Yesterday I was sitting on the back porch, and sudddenly there was a hummingbird. He looked at me as if to say, where is the food. So this afternoon, up went the hummingbird feeders, in the back yard this time. So I can watch them from the porch.
Yes, they are a sure sign that spring is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment